Skip to main content
News   |   Events   |   Safety   |   CHESS-U>   |   InSitμ   |   MacCHESS   |   CLASSE

X-RAY RUNS: Apply for Beamtime

2017  March 15 - April 24

2017  May 17 - June 29
2017  BTR deadline: 04/17/17

2017  October 11 - December 21
2017  Proposal deadline: 08/01/17
2017  BTR deadline: 09/10/17

CHESS is constructing a major addition that will provide a leap forward in x-ray research capabilities in applied science such as physics, chemistry, materials science & biology.

The present CHESS wiggler beam lines are over-subscribed by a about a factor of three and sometimes the Cornell faculty members have to go off-site in order to find enough synchrotron radiation beam time. The new beamlines help to address this problem.

G-line Map


The new G-line (next letter in sequence after F-line) is supported and operated by Cornell University faculty members and will be available for their use for 80% of the time with the remaining 20% to be available for general CHESS users. The beamline equipment is being funded by a separate $2.5M NSF proposal to five Cornell faculty members: Profs. Brock, Gruner, Cooper, Abruna & Ober. Cornell University provided the building.

A new 50-pole wiggler and front-end assembly of the beamline are mostly fabricated. The new wiggler will serve both CHESS West and G-line with x-rays beams produced by both the electrons and positron beams traveling in CESR in opposite directions. X-rays will be taken from the wiggler and divided into three stations. Commissioning is expected in 2001.

Of the three experimental stations, G1 will be used for study in such areas as the time-resolved response of large molecules to electric fields, high-pressure stimuli and mechanical deformation. The systems to be studied range from liquid crystals used in computer displays to synthetic silk and other biopolymers. Another station will be used for the study of the growth of semiconductor films and will heavily involve faculty and students from the Cornell Center for Materials Research. The third station will be for general purposes.

General CHESS users benefit from the extra availability of beam time, flowing both from the 20% of G-line allocated to the general user pool and from the reduction of Cornell usage on the existing beamlines, and from additional beamline capabilities. It's a win-win situation for everyone.